It is brilliant no-bake ‘cheesecake’ is actually vegan. It uses frozen banana ice cream instead of cream cheese for the filling, with an oaty hazelnut base and tart blueberry topping.
For the base
- 160g/5¾oz porridge oats
- 160g/5¾oz roasted whole hazelnuts
- 60ml/2fl oz coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 185g/6½oz golden syrup
- pinch salt
For the filling
- 7 frozen bananas, about 580g/1lb 4½oz, chopped into pieces
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
For the compote
- 250g/9oz fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ lemon, zest, and juice
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm/8in round loose-bottom tin, 7.5cm/3in deep.
- To make the base, toast the oats and hazelnuts in a large frying pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes until they just start to turn golden-brown, stirring all the time. Pop them straight into a food processor and blend to a fine crumb. Add the coconut oil, golden syrup, and salt and blend again until it all clumps together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and, using the back of a spoon, press into the base and 2.5cm/1in up the side. Put the base in the fridge while you make the filling.
- To make the filling, put the frozen bananas into a food processor with the golden syrup, cinnamon, and cocoa. Leave for 5 minutes to allow the bananas to defrost just very slightly so that they process more easily, then blend until you have what looks like a soft scoop of ice cream. Quickly spoon the mixture on top of the prepared base and pop it into the freezer until you are ready to eat.
- When you are ready to eat, make the compote by adding the blueberries, lemon zest and juice, and sugar to a pan and stirring over medium heat until the blueberries have just softened. This should only take a few minutes. You can make the compote well in advance and, if you do, keep it chilled in the fridge until serving.
- Take the cheesecake out of the freezer, slide it out of the cake tin, and place it on a serving dish. Add the warm compote on top and leave for just a few minutes before slicing and enjoying.