This Mushroom Pasta is a delicious dish of sautéed mushrooms mixed with shell pasta in a creamy sauce. The white cream sauce is conveniently made in the same pan as the sautéed mushrooms, garlic, and onions, absorbing all of the great flavors as it thickens. An easy recipe to make, this vegetarian meal is full of flavor and has a fantastic creamy consistency.
About this recipe
On some days I just don’t want to cook anything and flatbreads. So instead, I make dishes that are not that commonly made in my home.
This flavorful creamy mushroom pasta is one of those meals and I am happy and somewhat surprised, to say that it was a hit.
his is a pasta dish you will be sure to enjoy. I say this from experience as my family members are not pasta lovers and yet loved this dish!
But I love cooking and eating foods from all over the world and so continue to try to subtly bring recipes from other cuisines into our meal routine.
This doesn’t always go well, particularly with pasta, but the wonderful flavors and satisfying texture of this yummy dish made it a winner in my home.
Why this recipe works
To make this dish, you don’t have to make the white sauce separately. The sauce is made during the cooking process.
This allows all the wonderful flavors of the mushrooms, garlic, and onions to get incorporated into the milk as it thickens to create a tasty cream sauce.
After preparing the pasta, the remainder of this meal is made in one pot or one pan. This not only adds to the ease of preparation and clean-up but also results in a cohesive meal with perfectly blended flavors.
Towards the end, I topped the dish with cheddar cheese and then baked for the cheese to melt. This adds a nice little crust to the top.
However, if you don’t have an oven, skip this last step and instead just top the mushroom pasta with some grated cheese and serve hot.
- 400g pasta
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- Large handful of spinach
- 100g cashews
- 100ml almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of tamari
- 1 tablespoon of yeast (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Make the sauce by placing the cashews, almond milk, tamari, yeast, lemon juice, and a sprinkling of salt into a powerful blender. Blend until a really creamy sauce forms. You may want to add a dash of more almond milk if needed to blend the sauce.
- Place a pan over a medium and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once warm, add the diced onion, garlic, and a sprinkling of salt. Cook for 10 minutes until the onion becomes soft.
- Once soft, add the sliced mushrooms, dried rosemary, and a sprinkling of salt. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes until the mushrooms reduce in size and turn soft.
- While the mushrooms cook put the pasta on to cook according to the instruction on the pack. Once cooked, drain (reserving a little of the pasta water) and mix through the mushroom pan.
- Pour in the creamy sauce and add the spinach. Mix well and cook for a few minutes to everything through and allow the spinach to wilt – mixing through a dash of the pasta water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Once everything has through, serve the pasta in bowls with some black pepper sprinkled on top.